Sunday, May 29, 2011

face to face

It's time to face the music.
I have been avoiding blogging since I returned home to Canada that was, well a month ago.  This blog started as a way to document my experience in Florence and keep friends and family at home up to date with my artwork.  Now, being home its harder to look forward than I thought. No, scratch that, its easy to look forward now, but i find myself looking too far ahead.  The daily moan and groan is what bothers me most.
It's funny how it happened. I moved to Florence being entirely uncertain of what I was going to find and learn, but eased so, easily into the lifestyle and grab at the opportunities presenting themselves.  In eight months I validated myself, as an artist but more importantly as a person.  Being displaced out of my country and into a new one, there was finally thrill, motivation, something to drive me along. I, as well as my other fellow Florentines actually accomplished a dream that doesn't come true for many. But it was much more than any dream, it was a reality.  I would like to thank everyone in the Florence Off- Campus Studies program 2010-2011, it would not have been that same minus any one of you.  We accomplished something brilliant between our group.  I, nor any of us will forget the memories, creations, or coffee we made together.   However none of this would have been possible without Jean- Christian Knaff, our professor.  You pushed us an inspired us like no other professor has, and we are all so grateful for your contributions to our careers, and the Florence program.  Although I cannot forget, Peter Porcal our Art History professor, who made art history so interesting and applicable with his particular personality and humor.  Providing us with countless stories we will forever be passing on.  I know what we learned in Florence together, is something that will forever affect us as practicing artists as well as decent people.  Now the world is at my disposal, dreams do become realities, and I have many, many more dreams that I intend to live.

So, the temporary goal is, get a job, focus on drawing and oil painting, get my work out there, and move to Toronto.

Face it no. 1: Self portrait series in red
ink and pencil crayon
May 2011
Face it no. 2: Self portrait series in red
ink and pencil crayon
May 2011
Face it no. 3: Self portrait series in red
ink and pencil crayon
May 2011

2 comments:

  1. Man. You have been braver than me! I've been avoiding the return to my blog like the plague. I guess you just kicked me into gear!

    I want to personally thank YOU for times in Florence! It would have been way less feline without you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been avoiding it too, so hard. But it felt good!
    :D Thanks Marco it wouldn't have been the same without you either!!

    ReplyDelete